I've decided on my rules or guidelines for the Fall Capsule! I'll see how it goes for September, October, and November, and then I may make some changes for Winter.
* I will choose 40 items, including shirts, pants, skirts, dresses, shoes, boots, and jackets.
* I will only wear those 40 items, mixed and matched, for 3 months.
* Jewelry, underclothes, pajamas, lounge clothes for inside the house, and workout clothes are not included. I will also exclude a hat, gloves, and scarf from the 40-item limit.
* If an item of clothing gets ruined, or no longer fits, I will swap it for a different item.
* I will assemble the majority of the pieces by September 1st (using mostly things that I already own), but I will buy a few things during September.
I haven't gathered everything I need yet. In general, I think it's best to have everything ready to go before the beginning of the three-month season. Ideally, I'd have rounded up all the pieces with two or three weeks to spare, leaving time to alter, hem, or mend anything that needs it. Plus, I'm excited to lay everything out and see what outfits I can make!
Getting the shopping done during a shorter time period - like a couple of weeks - means I'd spend less time shopping, and be less tempted to buy more clothes. Somehow I have to find the balance between making sure I get the right thing that I will really like, and not wasting time by shopping for too long. I'd rather spend most of my time on something other than window shopping online - and my kids would definitely prefer that we have more time at the playground.
This weekend I will take photos of what I have and share them with you. I'll show you my new additions as I get them. It's only a few days until my Fall season starts! I'm excited.